SW going NW. Briefing 9.45am
Today the forecast is a bit stronger than anticipated. Perhaps around 30km/hr at 2400m. Also throughout the day we are going to have a degree of cirrus which will slow things down, especially as there seems to be an inversion at around 2600m. As the afternoon progresses the wind is due to veer more to the NW and to lighten, so we can expect an evening flight, somewhat better than the normal strong SW days.
If we look at the XC skies track and forecast we can expect a potentially big XC day as the climbs are good and well above 3000m later in the afternoon. There is also convergence (probably blue) to Avila , though beyond it moves back to the mountains which would complicate things after Avila due to the Airspace. However, the wind is still favourable to continue to Segovia and beyond.
So, if you are brave, lucky and have a decent skill set for flying in moderately turbulent air and strong winds, you could potentially do a 200km flight. I am neither brave nor lucky so will have a look at the conditions and hope that the forecast winds are are wrong and it is much lighter than predicted. If not, then I will wait until it comes onto Peña Negra this evening.
What we shall do is brief at 9.45 and try to leave at 10am to have a look at Lastra del Cano the S. Take off. Next few days are looking better/safer. ¨It is always flyable….but not necessarily survivable!¨